• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Healthy living tips for vegeterian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big)Sky

Bluelighter
Hello fellow bluelighter's.

My girlfriend has been vegetarian for a little less then a year and i notice she does not eat all that well in terms of a balanced diet. She is in college and leads a very busy lifestyle so it becomes difficult to learn a new diet plan while trying to become a teacher.

Ive been with her for the last 4 months or so and i've noticed she has been sick at least once a month.

I'm starting to think she is not dieting properly, which could lead to long term issues down the road.

I was wondering if there was any diet plans, or good healthy meals i could assist her with in her non meat eating habits. I was also wondering if there was any supplements she could supplement for the last of amino acids and other things in meat. Thanks:)

If you're a vegetarian eating unhealthily, you're failing completely.

What does she need to eat? Vegetables. Fruits. Whole foods.

What doe she eat now... soy and other meat-replacement patties? pizzas? lots of sugar?

If you're eating remotely healthily, and exercising regularly, you shouldn't get sick more than once a year (in the winter time).

Not enough time to make real meals? Make a large batch of food on Satrudays or Sundays, and store them in the fridge in Tupperware containers. Take to school/work/etc... and resist temptation.

As changed asked, can you give us some examples of what she's currently eating?

Number one thing to do would be to get some blood tests done. From there tailor her diet to boost whatever vitamins she's lacking (I'd take a stab in the dark and say perhaps iron and B12). It's very easy (and common for people new to a vegetarian diet) to eat unhealthily and rely on meat-replacement, or processed veggie food. This is exactly what you should avoid. Go back to basics and cook from scratch including as much of a variety of fruits and vegetables, pulses, legumes, nuts, whole grains as possible.

Why not cook for her, or cook with her? If you're woried about her diet and health you could even go so far as packing her lunches daily. I'm sure she wouldn't complain ;)

There are a couple of threads on the topic here already so I'm sure one of the friendly mods will merge this to the most appropriate one.

Why not cook for her, or cook with her? If you're woried about her diet and health you could even go so far as packing her lunches daily. I'm sure she wouldn't complain ;)

This is an excellent idea. Check out some simple vegetarian recipes that are 100% whole foods. 1. She'll love you forever for cooking. 2. She'll be more healthy; good for both of you.

There are a couple of threads on the topic here already so I'm sure one of the friendly mods will merge this to the most appropriate one.

I'd do this right now, but I've been enjoying too much yeast, hops, malt, barley, and water tonight-- all vegetarian for the record.

If this still needs to be moved tomorrow morning, I'll do the deed.

I'd do this right now, but I've been enjoying too much yeast, hops, malt, barley, and water tonight-- all vegetarian for the record.

If this still needs to be moved tomorrow morning, I'll do the deed.

Understood sir! ;) :) Though watch out for beer/wine fined with isinglass!

Back on topic, I think the Healthy Living FAQ probably has some links the OP could use: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=559959

If you're a vegetarian eating unhealthily, you're failing completely.

What does she need to eat? Vegetables. Fruits. Whole foods.

What doe she eat now... soy and other meat-replacement patties? pizzas? lots of sugar?

It's certainly not at all impossible or even difficult to eat a healthy vegetarian diet -- at the same time, it is also not at all impossible or even difficult to eat a vegetarian diet which lacks certain vitamins and minerals.

http://www.adajournal.org/medline/record/ivp_00029165_76_100

Vegans had dietary intakes lower than the average requirements of riboflavin, vitamin B-12, vitamin D, calcium, and selenium.

I would look at these. Calcium, probably not an issue; milk is full of it. B12 is a big one. Also creatine, which is not a vitamin but comparing these maybe it should be:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1691485/?tool=pmcentrez
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2008.05.009

The gist: vegetarians got benefits from creatine supplements, non-vegetarians did not, p < 0.0001.

Please use the search button. There are dozens of threads telling you what a vegetarian should eat. If that fails, use Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.